Today is September 1st, which for many of you is a month you have been waiting for since the beginning of the year. Garrett and I include ourselves in that group of people and you can bet we are as excited as anybody to ring in the 2016 upland bird season. It’s almost time to put all the planning and dreaming you’ve done in the off season into action, but before you do, here’s a list of things you’ll want to check off your list first.
UPLAND BIRD HUNTING PRE-SEASON CHECKLIST
- Oil boots, don’t forget to do both pairs, and check the new hunting catalog just in case there may be something new and improved this year, you never know, you might need that third pair.
- Remove gun from case, stand in front of mirror or your favorite framed bird print, shoulder, check aim dismount, repeat.
- Pull out the latest issue of Pointing Dog Journal, Covey Rise, Upland Almanac, etc… turn pages, stroke the dog’s head, commence dream state.
- Inspect brush pants and field coat, plan a trip to your favorite tailor, unless she lives with you.
- Put on your upland hunting vest, reach into the shell pouch, grab a fistful of contents and take a whiff… gun powder, bird feathers and aging remnants of autumns past, enough said.
- Take out your bird knife, quickly test the sharpness on your thumb, knowing full well that it will not suffice, begin sharpening your bird knife.
- Inspect all e-collars, transmitters, beepers and bells. Close your eyes and give the bell an extra jingle for good measure, you’re almost there.
- Clear the table, lay out all county plot books, atlas maps, and if your high-tech, fire up google maps on the iPad or tablet. Plan your hunt!
- Open up your hunting kit / truck storage box. Remove all contents one by one, assessing the value and utility of each item. Repack all items including any new additions this season. Don’t forget the shotgun shells. You’re ready to go!
- Don’t forget to review our Pre-Season Dog Checklist we posted last year by clicking here.
- Have a safe, enjoyable and unforgettable upland bird hunting season!
The NorthwoodsR crew is back with you for another fall hunting season! We’ve got some exciting plans this year including a road trip to Michigan in late September. Follow along with us and share your stories. September is upon us my friends, let the greatest season of the year begin!
P.S. Don’t forget to subscribe to our email list to get all our updates this fall!